The ESOP Executive Compensation Survey
The survey provides detailed compensation data for seven executive positions, including base pay, incentive pay, deferred compensation, and equity granting policies. It also provides demographic information that allows for comparison between similar companies.
The 2016 SurveyWe have finished collecting responses. Thank you to all respondents.
Please contact Research Director Nancy Wiefek at email@example.com or by phone at 510-208-1312 with any questions.
Purchase Results of the 2014 SurveyThe 2014 ESOP Executive Compensation Survey, conducted between April and June 2014, collected a total of 374 valid responses from a diverse group of ESOP companies.
Two-thirds of respondents were from 100% ESOP-owned companies, and 20% had minority ESOP ownership. Thirty-six percent had 100 or fewer employees, 50% had 101 to 500, and the remaining 14% had more. Forty-four percent had annual revenues from $10 to $50 million; 17% were smaller, and 39% were larger.
Among the surveyed companies, 33% had board compensation committees that are composed entirely or majority of outsiders, while 42% did not have a board compensation committee. The median ESOP contribution rate was 10% of payroll. The most common form of equity compensation was stock appreciation rights (SARs), followed by phantom stock.
The full results of the 2014 survey are available for purchase. NCEO members can view a PDF summary of the results here.
- CEO or president
- CFO or top financial executive
- Top divisional vice president
- Top human resources or personnel professional
- Top sales or marketing executive
- Top manufacturing, products, or services vice president
- Base pay, cash incentive pay, stock-based incentive pay, and deferred compensation
- What percentage of companies provide incentive pay to which executives
- Vesting and equity granting policies
- An array of demographic questions
The Custom ReportIf you order a custom report, we will contact you to discuss which criteria are most useful for your purposes.
2014 ESOP Executive Compensation Survey Results: custom report ($150 per report for NCEO members, $300 for nonmembers)
2014 ESOP Executive Compensation Survey Results: full database ($750 for NCEO members, $1,250 for nonmembers)
What Users Are Saying"This report gives us information that we've needed but found very difficult and expensive to acquire in the past. This is a great service."
— Robert H. Carlson (CEO Emeritus and board member, Reell Precision Manufacturing)
"Not only did we get data on executive compensation in ESOP companies, we were also able to look at compensation levels for companies in our size range and industry type. I was impressed with the amount of data, the different executive positions it covered, and the quick turnaround--I would recommend this to any ESOP company."
— Cindy Turcot (Chief Operating Officer, Gardener's Supply Company)
- You will acknowledge the NCEO as the source of the information in all materials, speeches, presentations, or other forms of communication that draw on the data in the executive compensation database. The correct title is "2014 ESOP Executive Compensation Survey Results." The NCEO should be referred to as the National Center for Employee Ownership. When feasible, a link to our Web site (www.nceo.org) should be provided.
- The NCEO made the following commitment to each participating company: "All of your answers to this questionnaire will be completely confidential. No specific information will be released to anyone outside the NCEO on a given company's practices." All identifying information (email address, individual names, IP addresses) has been removed from the database. You agree to respect the commitment that the NCEO has made, and specifically:
- You will not attempt to identify in any public sphere any companies based on the answers to company background questions or any other data contained in the database.
- You will only share analyses that aggregate data from multiple companies, rather than data from multiple questions for any individual company (i.e., you will not recreate a portion of the answers to the questionnaire for any one company).