Results of the 2019 ESOP Executive and Board Director Compensation Survey are available for purchase.
This report on our 2019 compensation survey contains our most recent data on board director compensation. For more recent executive compensation data, please see our 2020 ESOP Executive Compensation Survey.
The survey received responses from a diverse group of 419 ESOP companies. Data is presented across multiple demographic categories including revenue, selected industries, employee count, and ESOP ownership percentage.
Please contact Research Director Nancy Wiefek at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions or assistance.
This survey, conducted between October 2018 through April 2019, collected a total of 419 responses. The survey gathered compensation data for each of the following eight executive positions:
- Board composition (number of inside, outside, and affiliated directors) and size
- Frequency of board meetings
- Tables of compensation at the 10th, 25th, 50th, 75th, and 90th percentiles for each of the following categories of pay:
- Fee per meeting
- Additional chair fees
- Total director pay
This information is presented for both the overall survey sample and as breakouts for each of the following company characteristics:
- Number of employees
- Percent ESOP ownership
- Age of ESOP
- S corporations and C corporations
- Professional, scientific, and technical services
The report also includes:
- Descriptive demographic information about the respondents
- Tables of executive compensation at the 10th, 25th, 50th, 75th, and 90th percentiles for each of eight executive positions, separated by base pay, cash incentives, stock-based compensation, and total pay. For more current executive compensation data, see our 2020 survey.
- Contributions to executives' individual ESOP accounts and other retirement plan accounts, by percentile
- Total company ESOP contributions as a percentage of eligible payroll
What Users Are Saying
"This report gives us information that we've needed but found very difficult and expensive to acquire in the past. This is a great service."
— Robert H. Carlson (CEO Emeritus and board member, Reell Precision Manufacturing)
"Not only did we get data on executive compensation in ESOP companies, we were also able to look at compensation levels for companies in our size range and industry type. I was impressed with the amount of data, the different executive positions it covered, and the quick turnaround--I would recommend this to any ESOP company."
— Cindy Turcot (President, Gardener's Supply Company)
- Companies may share the report with anyone at the company, including outside board members and consultants, but may not circulate it outside the company.
- Companies sharing the report with outside board members and consultants must specify that its use is limited to the company, and must acknowledge the NCEO as the source.
- ESOP service providers and other service providers or consultants may use this report to advise clients, as long as they acknowledge the NCEO as the source and make clear that it should not be circulated outside the client's company.