The ESOP Executive Compensation Survey
ESOP companies face unique compensation issues, and there are virtually no sources of data that cater to them. The NCEO's ESOP Executive Compensation Survey, conducted regularly since 2005, is the only compensation survey with a specific and exclusive focus on ESOP companies.
The full results of the 2016 survey are available for purchase at the shopping cart link above. The survey questionnaire is available here for reference. NCEO members can download a PDF summary of the results here.
The 2016 SurveyThe 2016 ESOP Executive Compensation Survey, conducted between October 2016 and January 2017, collected a total of 419 responses from a diverse group of ESOP companies. The survey gathered compensation data for each of the following seven executive positions:
- CEO or president
- CFO or top financial executive
- Top divisional vice president
- Top human resources or personnel professional
- Top sales or marketing executive
- Top manufacturing, products, or services vice president
The Survey ReportThe 98-page report includes:
- Descriptive demographic information about the respondents
- Tables of compensation at the 10th, 25th, 50th, 75th, and 90th percentiles for each of seven executive positions, separated by base pay, cash incentives, stock-based compensation, and total pay
- Compensation percentiles broken out by each of the following company characteristics:
- Revenue: (under $10 million, $10m to $50m, $51m to $100m, and over $100m)
- Number of employees (100 or fewer and over 100)
- Percent ESOP (100% ESOP-owned and less than 100% ESOP-owned)
- Age of ESOP (10 years or less and over 10 years)
- S corporations and C corporations
- Finance, insurance, real estate
- Health care and social assistance
- Information, technology
- Professional, scientific, and technical services
- Retail trade
- Wholesale trade
- The above categories broken out among:
- 100% ESOP companies only
- Construction companies only
- Manufacturing companies only
- Professional, scientific, and technical services companies only
- Retirement contribution percentiles by company characteristics
- Base pay, incentives, and deferred compensation as percentages of total pay
- Information on equity-granting policies
- Information on prevalence, composition, and size of board compensation committees
What Users Are Saying"This report gives us information that we've needed but found very difficult and expensive to acquire in the past. This is a great service."
— Robert H. Carlson (CEO Emeritus and board member, Reell Precision Manufacturing)
"Not only did we get data on executive compensation in ESOP companies, we were also able to look at compensation levels for companies in our size range and industry type. I was impressed with the amount of data, the different executive positions it covered, and the quick turnaround--I would recommend this to any ESOP company."
— Cindy Turcot (Chief Operating Officer, Gardener's Supply Company)
- Companies may share the report with anyone at the company, including outside board members and consultants, but may not circulate it outside the company.
- Companies sharing the report with outside board members and consultants must specify that its use is limited to the company, and must acknowledge the NCEO as the source.
- ESOP service providers and other service providers or consultants may use this report to advise clients, as long as they acknowledge the NCEO as the source and make clear that it should not be circulated outside the client's company.