National ESOP Database
The ESOP Database is a comprehensive nationwide list of ESOP companies, last updated in January 2022. The data draws on plan year 2020 Form 5500 filings (or the most recent available filing before 2020) and additional data gathered by the NCEO. Each listing includes participant count, sponsor industry, leveraged status, S or C corporation status, the plan effective date, sponsor street address, and numerous other fields, including percent ESOP ownership where available.
Regional ESOP Databases
Separate databases are available for each of the nine U.S. Census regions. These smaller lists include all of the same data fields as the national ESOP Database.
- Division 1: New England: CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT
- Division 2: Middle Atlantic: NJ, NY, PA
- Division 3: East North Central: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
- Division 4: West North Central: IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD
- Division 5: South Atlantic: DE, DC, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, VA, WV
- Division 6: East South Central: AL, KY, MS, TN
- Division 7: West South Central: AR, LA, OK, TX
- Division 8: Mountain: AZ, CO, ID, MT, NV, NM, UT, WY
- Division 9: Pacific: AK, CA, HI, OR, WA
State ESOP Slides
NCEO members can download state-by-state ESOP fact sheets containing an overview of ESOPs in their state, including a map of ESOP company locations, the number of ESOP plans and participants, an industry breakdown, and more.