National ESOP Database
(2023 version now available)
The ESOP Database is a comprehensive nationwide list of ESOP companies, last updated in February 2023. The data draws on plan year 2021 Form 5500 filings (or the most recent available filing before 2021) and additional data gathered by the NCEO. Each listing includes participant count, sponsor industry, leveraged status, S or C corporation status, the plan effective date, sponsor street address, and numerous other fields, including percent ESOP ownership where available.
Learn more and purchase the national or regional ESOP database.
Regional ESOP Databases
Separate databases are available for each of the nine U.S. Census regions. These smaller lists include all of the same data fields as the 2023 national ESOP Database.
- Division 1: New England: CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT
- Division 2: Middle Atlantic: NJ, NY, PA
- Division 3: East North Central: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
- Division 4: West North Central: IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD
- Division 5: South Atlantic: DE, DC, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, VA, WV
- Division 6: East South Central: AL, KY, MS, TN
- Division 7: West South Central: AR, LA, OK, TX
- Division 8: Mountain: AZ, CO, ID, MT, NV, NM, UT, WY
- Division 9: Pacific: AK, CA, HI, OR, WA
Industry ESOP Databases
Separate databases are available for each of the five largest ESOP industries. These smaller lists include all of the same data fields as the 2023 national ESOP Database.
- Professional, scientific, and technical services
- Finance, insurance, and real estate
- Wholesale and retail trade
State and Industry ESOP Slides
NCEO members can download ESOP fact sheets for each state or major industry, featuring a map of ESOP company locations, the number of ESOP plans and participants, an industry breakdown, and more.